Kirkgate Market major refurbishment. What will it involve?
- 1976 hall – most stalls going from here – 114 permanent stalls are being removed to be replaced by a – yet undetermined – daily covered market with pop-up stalls, cafes and events area. All traders from the 1976 hall door down (where Greggs is- included) have given notice
- Butcher’s road – This will be demolished and will be developed by a private developer in a separate project. It will be part of a “Kirkgate Village” new concept opening late hours and developed to lure in shoppers from the future posh shopping centre “Victoria Gate”. All traders from here will have to move elsewhere; Butchers should move to the newly refurbished “Fresh produce area”, see below.
- Shops facing George Street – All to be demolished as part of the “Kirkgate Village” project privately developed, see above. Still looking for a private developer.
- Fish and Game Row – This area together with Row 2 will become a new “Fresh produce area”. To refurbish this area (heavy drains work needs doing) all current traders trading with food from Fish and Game Row will be temporarily displaced to Butchers row. It is unclear for how long. Some current traders in this new fresh produce area do not trade with food now (shoe and clothing shops for example) and will have to move elsewhere. It is unclear yet if any of the existing Butchers will actually move to the new area.
- 1981 hall – 2 big blocks with several stalls to be demolished to make a new route. Traders here to be displaced.
What is happening to all these traders? We will be writing about this – so follow our blog to find out more and come to the plans panel meeting on Thursday 11th Dec 1.30 at Civic Hall to find out. Information about this meeting here: http://democracy.leeds.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=947&MId=6988&Ver=4